Friday, May 6 [
9:51 AM ]
The bias calmness before the nervous storm...
The General Elections 2011.
So much voices heard above my head.
So much grieves lingered in my ears.
So much hatred that circulated online.
I'm not an anti-PAP nor a pro-opposition person.
But I never sat on the fence either.
Because I know what I'm looking for.
Despite my active Facebook statues, I do not hate the PAP.
Nope, I DO NOT HATE PAP.
I'm still very much respect to he who have done a lot for Singapore, allowing my generations to be able to have a life better than our neighbors, a very safe and secure environment to grow up in, and a long term roof above my head. Yes, I am grateful to Uncle Lee for that. (And these are the very same reasons that James and I decided to stay put to built our family here instead of moving elsewhere.)
But that stops there. Despite me being respectful and grateful to the man who moulded Singapore to what she is today, I do not agree to many other things he had done. Yes, no one's perfect. Yes, every decision made always benefits, but only to some, while the others suffers underneath the roving radial.
Every elections, I always repeats my stories. Stories of how I witnessed and experienced growing up in Hougang. Yes, that constitution falls under the opposition party.
But this childhood of mine, also put my perspectives in places where most of my peers have not seen at that age. These perspectives also made me who I am today, because they taught me that every single thing has 2 sides; that you cannot trust on what you hear but from what you see with your own eyes; to fight for myself and for those who has no voice; and that not everything an elder on the higher hierarchy says necessary means must be good for me.
And that's when my respect for Mr. Low begins.
Not from personal encounters with Mr. Low. THAT, only left a deeper impression. But from watching in shadows, observing him, how he strives, how he stumbles, how he fights and how he endures, to make a better living condition in this little spot on the red dot for us who have placed our trust in him.
HE did a good job. So good, that it became somewhat a standard that now my family and I tend to compare wherever we moved to. That's how great he is. As great as Uncle Lee but in his own way, I think he deserved some level of respect from others other than the ones who lived under his care. And so why I repeats my stories every 5 years.
I never like politics. I prefer to live life in simplicity but with a great level of comfort.
However, that doesn't mean I'm ignorant.
PAP has been the ruling party for many years. As much as I enjoyed the benefits, I suffered the disadvantages like many. But I'm still grateful for their competent. Matter of fact, I have a handful of favorite ministers belonging to the party. One of which is Mr. Yeo. Most favorite, Mr. Ong.
Like I said, as much as I respect and grateful to Uncle Lee for what he had done, Singapore has flourish into a country where many envies, many wants to live in and many tried to model after. But times have changed. Despite Singapore has been placed in strong positions in the world because of her capabilities, its time for the government to be focusing on its people instead. And that, to me, it's not a case of remembering who we owe that we have today. But a case of upgrading the system that once push us out of the slum to a higher level to handle 2011 and years to come!
It's like how my granny always teaches me. A home, is not just a roof over our heads with meals to come home to, a home, is also where we live in comfort, rest in peace, taking the time to enjoy each other's company and nurture our next generation in a secure environment. Where things are not decided on impulse, nor one-sided, but where everyone's taken into consideration with mutual respect. I believe same goes for our country and her people.
That's why, I strongly believe in having our voices properly represented in the parliament, so that the one taking care of us will really take a good care of us. And hence why every election I vote for the opposition. Yes, I'm not shy to admit, in my last 2 votes, they went to oppositions, the same will be for this 3rd one.
I don't have to attend rallies to know what they promise. To be honest, it doesn't matter to me. It doesn't matter because I understood perfectly how changes cannot be done overnight. Or how some changes that whoever promise, can be fulfill within 5 years. A change in such a complicated system will take years to see results. Some changes, you won't even see their results, but your offsprings will.
What matters to me, is to have someone who can listen, understand, sought solutions together, and then propose to others, so others can benefit. A government do needs its people so together we can function optimally. A far-fetch dream? I do not think so. After all, there's a lot of things that Singapore has achieved were once far-fetch to other cultures as well.
All I ask for, was to have a fairer ground for alternative opinions, ideas and discussions in the parliament. Seriously, what sort of debating could go on when only 2 out of 87 doesn't belong to the same team?
I'm alittle sad that Mr. Low is contesting Mr. Yeo in his area. But I also understood that's the next most logical move Mr. Low and his party could do. A pity, as I believe both men are sincerely representing us in the parliament, serving the people of the nation.
I also admired Mr. Chiam's determination and dedication in fighting for the cause he believes so strongly. I wish to have a chance to personally witness his great work like how I had the privilege to witness Mr. Low's in Hougang. But nevertheless, if he did not do a good job, he would not have such a huge following giving their all and their respect from the people they had placed their trust in, and for such long years!
And yes, it's no secret how I've been drawn to Ms. Seah and her big ambitions larger than her age, which I find surprisingly pleasing.
It does peeved me much to hear people's intention to vote without thinking what they want. Furiates me even more when many decided to void their votes and/or to vote because he/she received the bonuses... A bonus that in reality were previously from our pockets.
And so I end with this thinking rant on the so-called cooling day... asking, who will you vote??
Please think carefully on what you want when you draw on the poll card tomorrow.
Just remember, to change, will come an initial period of new frustrations and sufferings.
No change, the current period of frustrations and sufferings just prolong.
Either ways, there's no miracles, no shortcuts. Just remember that.
v