Wednesday, February 13 [
4:27 PM ]
Basic Courtesy
I don't get it.
Are the fellow Singaporeans plain rude, can't be bothered or just possess no basic courtesy? Is it that difficult to be nice to people around you, even they are strangers?
I'm lucky that James always open the doors for me. He says its the basic courtesy. I still do open doors myself even with James. But I notice seldom anyone else would do the same for others.
Take this afternoon for example. I was at OCBC Bank, struggling with the big heavy glass doors and I cast an apologetic look to the ladies approaching, for being an obstacle. Unfortunately, disgust filled my face when I saw them actually staring impatiently. I hurry look back as I notice someone from the corner of my eyes. A beefy man look on, sniggering at me. Finally, I managed to pull the panel back, but had troubles trying to keep it open. I was frustrated and yelped a small cry, and the fella finally held onto the panel for me, (It was no sweat for him naturally.) and let me through. A sharp scream strikes as I walked pass the ladies. I looked back and saw the fella walking in the other direction. The 2 women still standing in front of the doors. One was holding onto her face, the other was yelling vulgarities in that fella's direction. Yah, one of them got slammed on the face by the door. Get this. All this happened when the security guard was standing next to the door, inside!
It seems to me,
(1) the security guard just plain can't be bothered. And decided to do nothing and watched the show, entertaining himself.
(2) the beefy guy has no decency to offer his help and hold the doors for the ladies.
(3) I'm tempted to say: "Serve you right" to the ladies, for staring so rudely and impatiently tapping their shoes, when they can help by pushing the door forward. (And I'll gladly hold the door for them and let them through first.) But its not very funny having your nose squashed by the doors.
To think I witness such cases almost everyday. But not everyday you get to see someone's face being slammed by the doors.